The Production Menu is an extremely integral part of crafting in Towns. The production menu panel can be accessed via the button on the left side of the screen or by pressing F2. Hovering over the semicircle opens the menu temporarily while clicking on it locks the menu open until it is clicked again. The semicircle also becomes a lighter color when the menu is locked open.
There are 7 categories, some with many sub-categories: Food, Militaries, Utilities, Containers, Materials, Burner and Vanity.
The production menu has two primary uses:
- Ordering Townsfolk to quickly obtain specific food, militaries, hats and much more. These items can be obtained by crafting using raw materials with the respective utilites or by collecting the items from the environment by farming to get fruit and wood, or by butchering animals to get raw meats or bones.
- Ordering Townsfolk to ensure a stockpile of specific items is maintained at all times.
To order Townsfolk to quickly create items:
- Click the production menu button in the left of the screen (or press F2).
- Click the relevant category in the categories menu that pops up on the left side of the screen.
- Cycle through any extra categories you need to - for instance, the item Bread is under Food, then Baking, wheras all producible utilities are found in the same menu.
- Find the item you want to create.
- Click the green plus (+) symbol to the left of the item to instruct Townsfolk to craft/harvest the required amount of items.
- Your Townsfolk should now start producing the chosen item (if all materials/buildings required are available!).
To order Townsfolk to keep a stock of a specific item:
- Follow the procedure above until step 5.
- Instead of clicking the plus (+) sign to the left of the item, click the plus sign to the right.
- Townsfolk will try to keep a stock of the specified item to the number chosen - for instance, if you press the plus sign to the right of bread 10 times, they will always try to keep 10 bread in their Town - when one is eaten or otherwise removed, another one will be produced (so long as all required materials/buildings are available).
- The left plus (+) sign next to an item is for IMMEDIATE orders - however many Townsfolk you specify will create the number of items you specify, then go back to what they were doing (clicking the main icon also does this).
- The right plus sign next to an item is for STOCKING orders - Townsfolk will strive to keep the specified number of items available at all time. Use this for things such as Bread and other food to ensure a healthy Town.
- When clicking either of the above, holding shift allows you to place orders of 5 making it easier to order large quantities of items.
- Townsfolk cannot generate ingredients out of thin air - ordering 10 cooked pork made is pointless unless you have a steady supply or large stockpile of raw pork.