We have installed the Translation Extension for MediaWiki. This will allow for 'Translators' to translate pages into other languages. This is a complicated task (however pretty easy to learn!) so if you have never used this extension before please take a few minutes to understand it before you just jump in.
NOTE: You may now add external links.
Pages marked for translation are listed HERE.
Basic Tutorial[edit | edit source]
- Click on Edit and put <translate> and </translate> tags at the beginning and the end of the page you would like to translate.
- When a Translater Administrator has marked the page for translation, go ahead and click "Translate this page".
- Choose your Language and click on Fetch (Ignore the other options)
- Now you may begin translating. Click the link on the left side of the English translation to bring up a pop-up window. Click on this symbol (↓) to copy and paste the English translation into the translation box. It's not required, but you are advised to do this as there may be important formatting information.
- When translating PAGE links make sure you add the language tag at the end of the English word, add a | , and then the translated phrase.
- E.g. [[Armor]] => [[Armor/fr|Armure]]
- Note that this is for PAGE links only. For the remaining ones, use create a REDIRECT. Like charbon (coal in French) goes to #REDIRECT [[Raw_Materials/fr#Charbon]]
- With the case of Categories, just add the language tag. There is no need to translate the word Category. E.g. [[Category:Utilities]] => [[Category:Utilities/fr]]
- Translate what you can and click on Save. It is a good idea to leave a summary to let others know what is happening although if your action is the same as the previous summary, there is no need for another one.
Editing translations[edit | edit source]
- To edit a translated page, click on "translated version" on top of the page.
- Make sure you delete the "!!FUZZY!!" tag before saving.
For More Information[edit | edit source]
How to translate -> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Translation_example
Mark for translation -> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Help:Extension:Translate/Page_translation_example